About this Blog

~Hi, my name is Courtney. I was a full time college student, starting to be a dancer, and used to work with kids part time, living on my own until my illness disabled me.
~I became sick in 2005. I created this blog in the summer of 2006 to record my "headache" diary and to see if anyone finds it interesting.
~12/2006 I lost my job then after, failed a year of college.
~2/2007 Dx Lyme Disease with Bartonella: prescribed 8 months of oral antibiotics. I'm not even sure if I ever had the Lyme Disease.
~11/2007 The doctor took me off medicines while I was still improving but not fully recovered.
~6/2008 Dx Chiari I Malformation by a neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills.
~8/2008 Decompression and Lamenectomy helped 80% of my problems.
~2/2009 Dx Hypermobility by an Orthopedic Surgeon/School Doc: Started PT, dancing, going to school and working.
~6/2009 Started working full time as an Infant-Toddler teacher, which requires lifting. Dancing part time, maybe I'll finish school eventually...lol
~12/2009 Dx Chronic Sinusitis: Stopped dancing due to constant infections.
~2/2010 Sinus Surgery & complication: Severe Epistaxis: Became severely anemic.
~3/2010: Dx Ehlers Danlos Syndrome: by Geneticist
~4/2011: Switched jobs, now work at a Pre-K teacher for 3 and 4 year olds. Less lifting!
~5/2011: Started PT and exercising again

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

This is where the crazy comes in...

I don't like to talk about this stuff because it makes me feel like less of a person. This is why there is an OR between my sick and my crazy. If I have any psychological issue i jump to the conclusion in my head that I must be crazy and its ALL in my head.

Anyways, I must post this, if anything its because it bothers me so much that I need to figure out why I'm feeling like this and solve my problem.

Its like a flash of lightening. It occurred right after I thought about living another night with a fever or waking up with excess snot, wanting to throw up in the morning because of it. (Seriously, its disgusting I hate it)

Its like panic, a flash, nothing, fear, then i think if I die right now I wont call out to God and I dont have any control over it. I feel crummy. (PS I’m not really sure why my computer does this spacing thing randomly. can anyone help me out?)

All I want is comfort foods. Like hot chocolate or chocolate chip muffin. I can't just go get it. (Because I can't drive to the store on my own and its four in the morning) I feel dry kinda, crummy. And this is where I think a physical component comes in. Maybe it's low blood sugar? or is it some type of adjustment disorder? I mean i feel physically crummy. I feel more distressed about the episode and worried it will happen again. I mean it's kinda out of the ordinary, different than my usual personality but it has occurred more times than not.

I'm not realy sure, at this moment i'm hoping someone with the answer will happen upon my blog and let me know but I think I will have to search it out like every other problem I have. (Which is normal in the health issues world)

PS: I know I am supposed to be blogging for Invisible Illness week and this is totally agianst the ”rules” for blogging. I will be posting on friendship during illness in a later post. 

3 comments:

One Sick Mother said...

Hmmm. I do wonder about blood sugar.

Have you been tested for reactive hypoglycemia? It is a 4 or 5 hour test, usually performed in a doctor's office. An endocrinologist is your best bet for this.

Many people with RH have been down the "crazy" path because blood sugar imbalances can cause a lot of mood swings and other ...stuff.

Research it and see if you have any "aha" moments.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reactive-hypoglycemia/AN00934

-OSM

Courtney said...

thank you for your input. its really helpful. i will bring it up to my doctor tomorrow. i used to think i had hypoglycemia when i was first sick because a nurse at school suggested it but my doctor just gave me the regular test not the 4-5 hour test. though when i did have those symptoms and was tested for blood sugar it was in the normal range. does it make a difference?

One Sick Mother said...

The regular fasting test is more useful for ruling out diabetes. Many hypoglycemics will *not* have a significant blood sugar deficit first thing in the morning.

The problem comes after they eat: They produce too much insulin, in response to food. Therefore the blood sugar levels plummet very quickly. That is why you need the long test. They take a baseline, give you a controlled amount of sugar, and see how you react to it.

Hypoglycemics can have symptoms even when their sugar is at "normal" levels. no-one is quite sure why this is. There are a few theories:

1. that the levels can fluctuate pretty rapidly, so by the time you test, they are OK again,

2. That there may be a delay in glucose transportation over the blood/brain barrier, so blood sugar in the fingers may be fine, but the brain's sugar might be low

3. That the "hypoglycemic" reaction is in response to another trigger altogether; possibly insulin itself.

I can guarantee you no doctor will have heard of most of this. Best to get the test and try to do your own research. There are some good books out there, BTW. Hypoglycemia for dummies is one.

I hope this helps. you can e-mail me through www.onesickmother.com if you need to.

One Sick Mother.

Site Meter