About this Blog

~Hi, my name is Courtney. I was a full time college student, starting to be a dancer, and used to work with kids part time, living on my own until my illness disabled me.
~I became sick in 2005. I created this blog in the summer of 2006 to record my "headache" diary and to see if anyone finds it interesting.
~12/2006 I lost my job then after, failed a year of college.
~2/2007 Dx Lyme Disease with Bartonella: prescribed 8 months of oral antibiotics. I'm not even sure if I ever had the Lyme Disease.
~11/2007 The doctor took me off medicines while I was still improving but not fully recovered.
~6/2008 Dx Chiari I Malformation by a neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills.
~8/2008 Decompression and Lamenectomy helped 80% of my problems.
~2/2009 Dx Hypermobility by an Orthopedic Surgeon/School Doc: Started PT, dancing, going to school and working.
~6/2009 Started working full time as an Infant-Toddler teacher, which requires lifting. Dancing part time, maybe I'll finish school eventually...lol
~12/2009 Dx Chronic Sinusitis: Stopped dancing due to constant infections.
~2/2010 Sinus Surgery & complication: Severe Epistaxis: Became severely anemic.
~3/2010: Dx Ehlers Danlos Syndrome: by Geneticist
~4/2011: Switched jobs, now work at a Pre-K teacher for 3 and 4 year olds. Less lifting!
~5/2011: Started PT and exercising again

Friday, April 04, 2008

"flu lik esymptoms"

Quote:
'Flu like symptoms often occur when the thoracic spine becomes stiff. Passive or active mobilising techniques of the spinal and rib joints can alleviate the symptoms.


this quote was in the above website about hypermobility syndrome. does anyone have this? i do! when i would go to the chiropractor about every 3rd visity my thoracic back stiffens up and subluxes fast and i feel more sick trying to move it.

what has helped it for you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see a chiro as it's not safe for many people with EDS to see one. I only have problems with one rib slipping out but my lower spine and hips are messed up.

Someone will come along with better answers i'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I don't see a chiropractor anymore because I only "hold" adjustments for maybe a few hours if I'm really lucky.

I'll get to feeling like I can't breathe and I'll start coughing (especially after eating), and I'll "pop" this one sweet spot that feels like it's in my T-spine, and then I can breathe again and the coughing stops. This happens every few hours and always after eating something (the bigger the meal, the nastier the coughing). It's really annoying, but I don't really know what to do about it.

My ribs behave very badly, and I dread sneezing or coughing. The only advice I can give you for that comes from my experiences with numerous belly surgeries: when you're post-op belly surgery, if you're going to cough or sneeze, you're supposed to try to press a pillow against your tummy to help support you and help you not feel as if your stitches are about to come apart. When I'm about to sneeze or cough, I'll hold a pillow or something against any ribs that have been misbehaving recently and apply a little pressure.

But feeling flu-like? I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will have more experience with this than I do and can give you some advice.

dorymichigan@AOL.COM said...

I had/have crazy weird symptoms that robbed my life. Headaches, neck ache, sharp stabbing pains from the left side of the base of my neck to behind my left eye, feeling too "sick" to get out of my recliner for days, I can't lay flat or I instantly get the migraine, nausea, instant barfing with very little warning, issues with dehydration, never have a feeling that I have to pee, then all of a sudden I HAVE GOT TO PEE NOW! pancreas builds pressure digestion stops and I will throw up food still in my stomach from 2-3 days prior. hands and feet ache like they are frostbite, my legs will be excruciatingly painful if I move them even an inch. If I move through the pain my legs won't hold me up, I fall to the floor. There is like a direct connected nerve pathway when I walk my feet hit the floor and I feel it all the way up my spine. funny heart beat, when I feel my worst I have memory loss, vision trouble, I find that I read and watch tv with my left eye closed, arms and legs ache, pressure in my back over my hips (where they meet spine) when I eat or drink it doesn't go down, I have to try to swallow over and over. I hear the "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound of my heart beating in my ears, and it is amplified in my left ear. I was born with a few birth defects that I know of hips are turned in and my legs are twisted, born without gallbladder, and appendix (both of which are okay to not have, and Chiari). This is all symptoms I've had since the surgery, and I am sure that I have forgot some more

Prior to the first decompression things were worse. I was paralyzed on left side, My arms and legs hurt so bad I would push myself over the floor stretching as much as I could and eventually I was put on IV Ativan, and this still didn't really help. The headaches were so bad I couldn't think of words to talk, my kidneys weren't working properly, I basically stopped peeing all together. I was barfing everyday, with no warning, which made the headaches much worse. I was desperately looking for any doctor to listen to me that I needed help, and I was very sick. Exhausted every local medical facility possible, and ended up going out of state to a gastro doc at Cleveland Clinic, who did an MRI because my symptoms didn't seem right to him. Then BAM, your brain stem is hanging 11mm out of your head. Maybe not as bad as some chiaris but I was in surgery less than 2 weeks from they day the doctor identified it. Why did it take years and several if not hundreds of doctors to find this? Here I sit again 3 years later, going through the same thing. I went to neurosergeon last week, and in ER a few days ago(left with the Dx of Sinus Infection). NO IT ISN'T This is that familiar feeling of brain compression. I have maybe 1 out of 10 good days. I feel very alone, and I wish there was someone who understood. I am not crazy I am sick. FYI Don't look to medical professionals to help you feel less crazy, they add to my feeling of "crazy..all in my head", but honestly I know that if they don't figure out how to help me, they might only be able to figure it out at my autopsy. It takes so long to get anywhere. I feel really crappy, and I want to be my old self again. I want to be a wife, and a mommy. This just is not acceptable!

Site Meter