About this Blog

~Hi, my name is Courtney. I was a full time college student, starting to be a dancer, and used to work with kids part time, living on my own until my illness disabled me.
~I became sick in 2005. I created this blog in the summer of 2006 to record my "headache" diary and to see if anyone finds it interesting.
~12/2006 I lost my job then after, failed a year of college.
~2/2007 Dx Lyme Disease with Bartonella: prescribed 8 months of oral antibiotics. I'm not even sure if I ever had the Lyme Disease.
~11/2007 The doctor took me off medicines while I was still improving but not fully recovered.
~6/2008 Dx Chiari I Malformation by a neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills.
~8/2008 Decompression and Lamenectomy helped 80% of my problems.
~2/2009 Dx Hypermobility by an Orthopedic Surgeon/School Doc: Started PT, dancing, going to school and working.
~6/2009 Started working full time as an Infant-Toddler teacher, which requires lifting. Dancing part time, maybe I'll finish school eventually...lol
~12/2009 Dx Chronic Sinusitis: Stopped dancing due to constant infections.
~2/2010 Sinus Surgery & complication: Severe Epistaxis: Became severely anemic.
~3/2010: Dx Ehlers Danlos Syndrome: by Geneticist
~4/2011: Switched jobs, now work at a Pre-K teacher for 3 and 4 year olds. Less lifting!
~5/2011: Started PT and exercising again

Thursday, May 08, 2008

post-polio syndrome?


"Partly due to association with past epidemics there has long been hypotheses linking ME/CFS with polio. From the very first well documented epidemic in 1934 (labelled Atypical poliomyelitis) the question has arisen concerning the relationship between an infection and immnunization. Many ME patients prior to 1956 suffered a paralytic association along with typical ME/CFS symptoms, however post 1956 ME/CFS patients have been spared paralysis, and it was hypothesised that polio immunization altered the symptoms common in earlier epidemics. Despite polio having been first described in 1881 there was no mention of PPS or even named until about 1979, the same time ME/CFS catapulted into public attention, and the rise in numbers of PPS closely parallels the rise in ME/CFS. It has also been noted that patients who had previously fallen ill with Akureyri disease (a synonym for ME/CFS) in 1948, and the general population of that particular area, of Iceland failed to succumb to the polio epidemic that swept that country at the time. Which raised the questions; are many ME/CFS patients simply PPS patients who had contracted a subclinical case of polio years earlier or is ME/CFS in subgroups, a poliomyelitis variant? [5] [6] [7]"


Reasons I could have had a mild case of wild-poliovirus
#1) I did not have a polio booster shot prior to my trip to Ethiopia
#2) There was an outbreak coming from Nigeria around the time I was in Ethiopia
#3) I had diarrhea upon returning for 2 weeks.
#4) One other person on my trip came back with symptoms including mild paralysis on one side
#5) my main problems are back spasms, joint pain, dysautonomia like symptoms, hypoglycemic like symptoms, fatigue

1 comment:

teh4 said...

Hi,
My mom has post polio syndrome. She had polio as a child growing up in Jamaica. This is her story http://www.trusera.com/users/angela119/stories/post-polio-syndrome.
Another woman on trusera is also asking about post polio, found here
http://www.trusera.com/users/jan/stories/postpolio-syndrome
Maybe you'd have some interesting insight to share?

- Tara Holahan

Site Meter