About this Blog

~Hi, my name is Courtney. I was a full time college student, starting to be a dancer, and used to work with kids part time, living on my own until my illness disabled me.
~I became sick in 2005. I created this blog in the summer of 2006 to record my "headache" diary and to see if anyone finds it interesting.
~12/2006 I lost my job then after, failed a year of college.
~2/2007 Dx Lyme Disease with Bartonella: prescribed 8 months of oral antibiotics. I'm not even sure if I ever had the Lyme Disease.
~11/2007 The doctor took me off medicines while I was still improving but not fully recovered.
~6/2008 Dx Chiari I Malformation by a neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills.
~8/2008 Decompression and Lamenectomy helped 80% of my problems.
~2/2009 Dx Hypermobility by an Orthopedic Surgeon/School Doc: Started PT, dancing, going to school and working.
~6/2009 Started working full time as an Infant-Toddler teacher, which requires lifting. Dancing part time, maybe I'll finish school eventually...lol
~12/2009 Dx Chronic Sinusitis: Stopped dancing due to constant infections.
~2/2010 Sinus Surgery & complication: Severe Epistaxis: Became severely anemic.
~3/2010: Dx Ehlers Danlos Syndrome: by Geneticist
~4/2011: Switched jobs, now work at a Pre-K teacher for 3 and 4 year olds. Less lifting!
~5/2011: Started PT and exercising again

Monday, March 15, 2010

"Delayed massive epistaxis following endonasal transsphenoidal surgery "

"Summary Objective. To describe delayed massive epistaxis, a rare but serious complication after transsphenoidal surgery.
Patients. Two patients underwent microscopic transsphenoidal surgery through a right endonasal approach for nonfunctioning pituitary adenoma. Severe epistaxis suddenly developed on day 8 and on day 13, respectively, after uneventful surgery. In each patient, the epistaxis was due to arterial haemorrhage from the left posterior nasal cavity. Otolarygologists failed to detect the origin of bleeding which was refractory to conservative treatment. Emergency internal carotid or external carotid angiography, performed during tight packing of the posterior nasal cavity, did not show abnormal findings; nevertheless, each patient was treated successfully by endovascular embolisation of the external carotid artery without further complication.
Conclusion. When severe delayed epistaxis follows transsphenoidal surgery and damage to the internal carotid artery has been ruled out, endovascular embolisation of the external carotid artery should be considered in patients refractory to conservative treatment. "
springerlink.com

No comments:

Site Meter