About this Blog

~Hi, my name is Courtney. I was a full time college student, starting to be a dancer, and used to work with kids part time, living on my own until my illness disabled me.
~I became sick in 2005. I created this blog in the summer of 2006 to record my "headache" diary and to see if anyone finds it interesting.
~12/2006 I lost my job then after, failed a year of college.
~2/2007 Dx Lyme Disease with Bartonella: prescribed 8 months of oral antibiotics. I'm not even sure if I ever had the Lyme Disease.
~11/2007 The doctor took me off medicines while I was still improving but not fully recovered.
~6/2008 Dx Chiari I Malformation by a neurosurgeon in Beverly Hills.
~8/2008 Decompression and Lamenectomy helped 80% of my problems.
~2/2009 Dx Hypermobility by an Orthopedic Surgeon/School Doc: Started PT, dancing, going to school and working.
~6/2009 Started working full time as an Infant-Toddler teacher, which requires lifting. Dancing part time, maybe I'll finish school eventually...lol
~12/2009 Dx Chronic Sinusitis: Stopped dancing due to constant infections.
~2/2010 Sinus Surgery & complication: Severe Epistaxis: Became severely anemic.
~3/2010: Dx Ehlers Danlos Syndrome: by Geneticist
~4/2011: Switched jobs, now work at a Pre-K teacher for 3 and 4 year olds. Less lifting!
~5/2011: Started PT and exercising again

Saturday, July 19, 2008

surgery question

Hi, Im having decompression surgery on the 19th of August. I just want
to know what to expect. And if anyone has heard of Dr Lanman in
beverly hills. I'm nervous. I heard it was REALLY painful. How long
before I can go back to school, etc.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just decompressed this past Tues. by Dr. Oro. It is a painful
recovery but well worth it. The first 5 days are the worst and then
things start to feel better slowly. I am returning to school the end
of next month (thankfully they are online courses).

The worst part is the stiff neck and the pounding headaches when you
change positions. You neck will be very, very stiff. The headaches
don't last all day long but when you go from laying down to standing
up they hit you pretty hard and last for 30 seconds or so. Your head
will be pounding really bad, I am just warning you. That has only
happened to me a couple times today and have been up and walking
aroudn well. Take your meds they give you and get as much rest as you
can afterwards. But make sure you move your neck a little bit each
day to helping the stiffness. Walking will help you too, you will be
exahausted after walking and that is normal.

I hope this helps, I would keep typing but I am pretty tired. I
really hope this helps you out. I just had the surgery and I can tell
you how it has been for me so far. Just ask anything you want and I
will get back to you as soon as I can ok.
Hugs Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi-

I had my decompression surgery one year ago and I am happy to say I am cured of my
headaches. I was like you, scared, nervous, not sure what to anticipate. I knew that my life
would be better post op so I did it. As far as the surgery itself, everything went perfect. I
had some issues with my asthma and I needed some emergency crap but I'm out and alive.
(Very very unlikely to happen to you).

I went in at 5am in the morning, I was admitted, waited some more. I was taken back into
the pre-op area and I waited for my doctor to come while my vitals, and my neck/head
was prepared. I thought I was going to lose my hair but in the end they never shaved my
hair but went between the lines of hair growth. I was relieved except when it came time for
stitches to be removed, there was a lot of pulling of the hair. So I was given a relaxant, I
went into the OR and out I was. I woke up in the recovery room with some lung crap going
on, and I was back on the respirator for another day or so. I woke up again to what I'm
assuming is the next day (LOL--you don't really know what day or time it is) and I was still
groggy but my family was there, my hair was up in the ponytail on top of my head. I was a
happy girl to find out my hair wasn't shaved. I was drugged up pretty good and the pain
was so/so when it came down to needing another pain injection/or iv supplement. I can't
say if it will be painful to you becuase everyone has different pain tolerances. I'm sure
they'll drug you up and if you still feel pain---seriously do not be shy in telling them that.
They will accomodate to your needs. It's hard to sleep becuase you really cannot twist your
neck w/o stiffness, pain, and what not. So sleeping is kinda challenge but since you'll be
so heavily drugged you'll fall asleep standing up. I was in the hospital for 7 days (was to
be 4) because of my breathing crap. I went home, things were pretty good. It's kinda nice
to be catered to every beckoning call. My neck was stiff for about 8 weeks. I did some
exercises with my neck with my hand as resistance as I could. I had a follow up MRI and
things look "spacious" (hahaha...I hope my brain was still there!) and things were flowing
nicely. Everything what was, is now opposite.

Life is great now. I have an amazing "battle" wound. I had a 10" incision, 70+ stitches but
now it's a nice scar and creates a fun time when I get my hair done.

I think you'll be pleased. I had my surgery July 9, 2007 and I went back to school August
15, 2007. I think you'll be fine in time for school.

Don't fret. As long as your trust your surgeon and know this is what you need to do, (note
not "want" to do, but "need" to do) then you don' thave a worry in the world.

I wish you the best of luck!

Tracci

Anonymous said...

It was the least painful surgery I have had. Don't worry.

Anonymous said...

i had decompression surgery three years ago... before surgery is the easy bit... please dont get too worried, it is worth it in the end

Overflowing Brain said...

I had decompression in November of 2007 and of the 3 surgeries I've had (tonsils, brain and a breast surgery) it was the least painful. I was off narcotics before 24 hours were up and I was walking around about 30 hours after surgery. Take it slow and listen to your body.

Physical therapy is a MUST. You'll have a lot of motion deficit and they will be a huge help.

Most of all, just stay positive. My surgery, though not uncomplicated (csf leak 2 months post-op and some peripheral nerve damage), was the best decision I think I've ever made. I'm a new person.

I hope things go well for you.

Site Meter